26/09/17 Introduction to Storytelling for animation

Hello everyone, this is Eleonora's first post on this blog for Storytelling for animation.
I had the introduction to the course a couple of days ago, it's been interesting but the main feeling is that it's going to be a hard course.

Our first task for next week is to find three or more comics/graphic novels we like, share them and criticise them.

Let's get started.

I don't particularly love Marvel comics. BUT. There is one or two I love and would follow till death.
These are Deadpool, of which I like the humor mixed to a healthy dose of  violence, and my eternal love, Silver Surfer.

Silver Surfer is not a very popular character, in fact there is just one Marvel movie of him, with the Fantastic Four. He is a traveller, like me, and surfes the space searching for new planets for his master Galactus, the planet eater. It has got such a deep narrative, this eternal dilemma between good and bad. In almost every comic we will explore a different world, different habits, different people. The Silver Surfer has got the power cosmic, which means he can do almost everything we can imagine, he doesn't need to sleep, eat, or any other human necessity.



It is interesting to notice how the style changes between the early years of life of the comic where lines, shapes and colours were simple, and the present, where these become darker and more complex.
                  


Another character I really like is Batman, he choose to be a hero, his main characteristic is his will, which is so strong that makes him unbeatable. 
In fact he doesn't have any superpowers, but he is incredibly smart so that he crafts his own.


In particular I really loved the mini series Batman Europa bBrian Azzarello and Matteo Casali where the tones of the comic are very dark, there is a very mindful eye to colors and perspective, which makes this a unique version. In this comic Batman is forced to travel with his most hated enemy, the Joker, around four European capitals, to find the cure for a poison a mysterious baddie had given them. It's a very deep and violent comic, poor in dialogues but with a special layout that catches the eye very easily.


 


Something that is a key in my favourite comics and graphic novels is the travel theme. Simply because I love travelling and I find very interesting when the character goes to visit new places and cultures, and the more fantastic and supernaturals are the adventures he will live, the more I will be interested in it. 

That is the reason why I love Adventure Time comics, it can seem crazy nonsense, but most of the times I feel it passes me messages that are deeper the what I would expect. Flashy, simple colours, round shapes and fluid animation make it a very easy to read comic.




It has been fun, see you next week.

Eleonora



Images: Comic Vine, Comic Alliance, Cartoon Network


Comments

Popular Posts